Monday, September 19, 2011

MHS Photowalk (:

After we learned the basics of photojournalism and about a few techniques, we all grabbed our cameras and went for a walk around the school. The assignment: take several pictures using the techniques we learned about.


This first photo is an example of framing.
Framing is the use of a secondary element (the railing) to highlight or emphasize the subject (the white mustang). Instead of just taking a picture from a downwards angle(which is also a good technique) I had to bend down and shoot the photo from in between the rails, emphasizing the white mustang. The words 'Memorial' and 'Mustang' are framing the horse as well.







I took this photo using the "worm's-eye-view" angle. The opposite of a "bird's-eye-view".

One very important thing to remember when taking pictures is to vary your angle! Instead of snapping a photo at eye-level, using a different angle makes the picture a lot more interesting and it catches the viewer's eye. I just sat underneath this basket and looked up. I don't really like the way the lights blind me but I didn't think about that when I was taking this...












This is a tree. Just a regular ol' tree outside in the courtyard. The only thing special about this tree is that it was shot using the rule of thirds.


 The rule of thirds means the main subject of a photo is not directly in the center. Imagine a rectangle with two lines running across horizontally and two lines across vertically. Those lines cross each other at four points. These points are the ideal focal points. Notice the trunk is not exactly in center. It's to the left a bit..yeah, that was done on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment